Thursday, February 17, 2011

Update, Shitty Week

This has been a hell of a week. Yesterday was our first day home from the hospital. My 9 month old had been vomitting, had diarhea, and a fever of 104.2 when we left Sunday to take him to the emergency room. We got to the hospital and there didn't seem to be that many people there. We went through triage who assessed him, and apparently they are the people who determine a number from 1 to 5, 1 being the biggest priorty, 5 being the least. They assigned him as a 4 and gave him some tylenol....something I had already been doing for two days, because the fever and all started on Saturday. When it spiked so high was when I decided it was time to do something about it, yet they (this damn hopsital) didn't seem to think it was to worry about. We had been there in the waiting room for over 4 hours when I went back to the desk to ask how exactly a 9 month old with that high of a fever wasn't more of a priority. I was PISSED to say the least. They blew me off, told me there were still 5 more people ahead of us, and please keep in mind that every person in the waiting room at this time had all come in after us.

We left there and went to a different hospital. Fortunately there are 3 to choose from in our area. Unfortunately I thought I had chosen the best, but it didn't turn out that way. Within 30 minutes of getting to the other hospital we were back in the er and he had an iv in his arm. Within another 30 minutes they decided he needed to be admitted to pediatrics. After they gave him some motrin his fever was down to 102.5 by the time we got to his room. They tested him for the flu, rotavirus, and salmonella. All came back negative. For 2 days he drank pedialyte and nothing else. On the third day they decided to offer him some food, which he consumed ALL of and did not throw up. They decided that since he was taking in fluids and able to eat and hadn't had a fever in 24 hours to let him go home. All they were able to diagnose was a stomach virus. I am very thankful that is all it was because I was scared there really was something wrong.

Now we are home and I am the sick one! I don't know if I picked something up from someone in the hospital but I have a respiratory/sinus infection and am absolutely miserable. If it's not one's another.

I will not lie and say I have done my best, because I haven't. My food has consisted of hospital food and drive thru hubby brought me. I was not leaving my baby and certainly wasn't focused on going to the gym with him there. So this has been a piss poor week and have low expectations.

Hopefully everyone else's week has been better than mine! And, thanks to those who offered support and prayers while we were away.


  1. I am so sorry you had to go through that. We had the same thing with my little one when she was about 18 months old. We got through triage pretty quickly, but then they had her in a ER "room" for over 3 hours before anyone saw her. She was then in the ER room for another 12 hours, because they didn't have any room in Peds. And they kept acting put out when she would vomit all over everything. Ugh. It's so tough as a parent to see your kid suffering and not getting the help they need.

    I am glad you got better service at the second hospital. And I hope YOU feel better soon.

    I wouldn't worry much about the food.. because sometimes our babies just have to come first, and we do what we have to do in survival mode.


  2. I'm so sorry your little one is ill and that now you are sick too. I hope you both feel better soon.

  3. Family first, now and always. Diet second and next week is a new week. I hope your wee one gets to feeling better. It must just be something that happens cuz when Mike was 2 or so we sat for 4 hours and he had pneumonia. ER, not always the best place.
    Take care and rest when you can, relax and God Bless!!

  4. I am sorry to hear about your little boy and understand a hospital not listening to you. My four month old got a stomach virus or so they said but she had diarhea that lasted almost a month. We are talking about 8 to 9 poopy diapers a day during that period. I hope he gets to feeling better soon.